 CAD / Development / 4762
Re: L3DView v0.5 view LDraw models in real-time 3D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:15:41 GMT

Don Heyse wrote:

Rats!  I don't know how many times I've heard that.  "I'll release the source
after I clean it up."  L3lab, Ldlite 2.0, MLCAD?  What is so embarrasing about
developmental code?  It's not like dirty underwear.  Doesn't anyone realize
that nobody EVER gets around to polishing things up because it's always more
interesting to add NEW stuff.  Meanwhile I'm missing out on the chance to
learn something here.

  I couldn't agree more, you don't have anything to loose by making the
source code available, you might even get some help from other people
(I've contributed small patches to LDLite and LDGLite for example). I've
said that before but I'll say it again, we should work together on a
common project instead of having a dozen different programs that all do
the same thing.

I know what you mean.  All those GluUnProject calls for the optional lines in
ldglite are pretty expensive.  It looks nice though when the model isn't
moving, like for screen dumps.

  Take a look at glu-src/project.c in the Mesa source code, you'll see
that the inverse matrix is calculated *every time* you call
gluUnproject, and that's a very expensive function. You can easily make
an optimized function for ldglite by calculating the matrix only once
per frame as you know it won't change. On my last message I said glu is
not good and here's the proof. :)

Leonardo