 CAD / Development / 4760
Re: L3DView v0.5 view LDraw models in real-time 3D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:48:27 GMT

Travis Cobbs wrote:

Well, OpenGL actually makes the transparency that I implemented fairly easy
if you know how.  If you want, I'll send you the steps.  Getting it to be
more accurate when multiple transparent pieces overlap the same portion of
the screen is harder.  One advantage that the stippled version has is that
it avoids this problem (at the expense of only being able to see the
front-most transparent piece).

  I used a BSP to avoid that problem in LeoCAD, works really well.

Since I am using the OpenGL T&L pipeline, drawing the conditional lines will
be extremely difficult for my program.  OpenGL doesn't exactly encourage
examination of the transformed coordinates, particularly not in a real-time
scenario.  I also use a display list, and all the conditional lines would
have to be drawn manually each time outside the display list.  I'm first
going get the standard lines to (optionally) show up before even thinking
about the conditional lines, though.  Once I have them, I should be able
make lighting optional, which should hopefully speed it up even further.

  If you want to have the optional lines then you should transform the
coordinates yourself, using gluProject is not a good idea (glu functions
should be avoided as much as possible).

Leonardo