 CAD / 4021
Re: L3DView v0.5 view LDraw models in real-time 3D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:50:53 GMT

Note that I am moving this thread into the lugnet.cad.dev group.

Don Heyse <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote in message
Let me know what you think, as well as any problems you may have.

Nifty.  Since it uses OpenGL do you plan to port it, or better yet, make
the source available?

I will probably make the source available at some point, once I have a
chance to clean it up, and I get to a more stabilized version.  I tried to
keep the Windows-specific stuff separate from the OpenGL and generic model
processing logic.  However, the OpenGL code is fairly closely tied to the
model loading code, which could make it more difficult to port to, say,
DirectX (not that that anyone would want to ;-).  I may port it to Linux
myself as a learning experience with either Gnome or KDE.  If I do produce
my own linux port, I would definitely make the source available.

I like the real transparent pieces, I skipped that and went with the • cheesy
stippled ones in ldglite.  And I got stuck on the spinning thing.  Now • that
everyone else can spin, I'm gonna have to go back and fix that. :-)

Well, OpenGL actually makes the transparency that I implemented fairly easy
if you know how.  If you want, I'll send you the steps.  Getting it to be
more accurate when multiple transparent pieces overlap the same portion of
the screen is harder.  One advantage that the stippled version has is that
it avoids this problem (at the expense of only being able to see the
front-most transparent piece).

Out of curiosity, did you use OpenGL lighting, or the lighting out of
LDLite?  Looking at your screenshots, I would guess the latter, since it
certainly looks significantly different from the OpenGL lighting I used.
However, this may just be the fact that I have a specular component to make
the models look shiny.  And it also may just be due to different values for
ambient (I used a fairly low ambient value).

A few notes about the spinning.  The "standard" matrices that look good for
the oblique view in LDraw actually skew the geometry, so they only look
right as long as you don't rotate.  If you start out with a "standard"
matrix and then rotate, the whole model will look skewed.  My rotation code
happens to be fairly ugly at the moment, but if you want me to send it to
you, I can.  Also, if you want to do the rotations in real-time, you're
probably going to have the skip drawing the conditional lines.  If you want
to go with the bounding-box rotation that MLCad has, this won't be a
problem.

Since I am using the OpenGL T&L pipeline, drawing the conditional lines will
be extremely difficult for my program.  OpenGL doesn't exactly encourage
examination of the transformed coordinates, particularly not in a real-time
scenario.  I also use a display list, and all the conditional lines would
have to be drawn manually each time outside the display list.  I'm first
going get the standard lines to (optionally) show up before even thinking
about the conditional lines, though.  Once I have them, I should be able
make lighting optional, which should hopefully speed it up even further.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)