 CAD / Development / 4328
  Re: Some Words To BFC

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:7cjkescmg077t76...4ax.com... (...) into (...) IMHO, no. If a mostly automated cleanup tool can be devised, then a few of us could clean up new parts after they are voted in and before (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) Completly agree, but part authors should strive to (if possible) present the parts for voiting already BFC compliant. But it's NOT a requirement. This reasoning also favours the "non branch BFC dependence", even authors which don't supply BFC (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) I believe that it's possible to create a program that automatically fixes the orientation of a part. Take a look at this picture: (URL) The red faces are the back faces and the green faces are the front faces. The image on the left is the part (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) but it seams to be damaged, but I was able to get the ideia. (...) Well this is exactly what I have been researching for a month now ! and believe me to be able to correct files 100% is almost impossible, due to the way the files are built. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) Perhaps this approach is a bit naive, but couldn't you use something similar to a point in polygon test? Cast a ray along the normal from the center of each polygon. If it intersects an odd number of surfaces then the normal points toward the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) That's is the (Odd/Even) test, also with Raycasting, but no supersampling, in the supersampling case, you just subdivide the polys further and further, or shoot pseudo-random rays until you find the correct normals for all faces. this does NOT (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) This points out that ray traced renderings of the transparent version of these pieces will not render the refraction correctly. In the best of all worlds, the interior surface would be removed. For ray tracing, the model could be replaced with (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) I agree that an automatic process might not always work 100% but it can make parts almost perfect and with only a small effort you'll be able to completely fix them. (...) I think I'm using what you call odd/even, I cast a ray from the center (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) When do you actually stop, when you find the correct orientation ? or after a few fixed iterations ? Eventually you could end up with an infinite loop if you are not carefull. That method does NOT really garantees any correct results due to (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Some Words To BFC

(...) Would it help to get primitive files cleaned up, and then make use of what is known of the faces in the primitive to decide the orientation of faces in the part? What I mean is, if you follow a ray from the center of a face, and the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)