 CAD / Development / 4283
Re: A discovery? and part 3475
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:23:28 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> writes:

Your function takes two (or more) 4-4edge primitives and connects them
with quads, to create a "pipe" like object.

Not just 4-4edge - it takes all between 1/16 through 16/16 and 1/48 through 48/48.

My function takes two arbitrary connected curves made up of type-2
lines and fills in the space between the vertex pairs on the two
curves.  The type-2 curves may very well be inlined 4-4edge
primitives, in which case our programs do the same thing, or they may
be something else.  I've had the use for a program like this many
times (e.g. when making the 2854.DAT Technic Crankshaft Centre) to do
the tedious work of simply filling in quads between two lines.

I see (I think...) If the two arbitrary connected curves run parallelly, I use LDS' EXTRUDE function, if not, I have to
make arrangements like this in LDS:

(curve 1 = P1 through P15; curve 2 = P21 through P35)

FOR I=1 TO 14
2 24  P(i) P(i+1)
2 24  P(i+20) P(i+21)
4 16  P(i)  P(i+20) P(i+21)  P(i+1)
NEXT i
FOR I=2 TO 14
5 24  P(i)  P(i+20) P(i-1)  P(i+1)
NEXT i

This is what I have to do for example now as I struggle with the horse's tail. Maybe your program will speed up that
procedure, but that calls to the need of removing the edge lines.

The advantage with PIPE is that hopefully programs like L3P will translate directly to conical POV primitives instead of
facetted surfaces from the pure LDraw code. I understand that this is impossible with arbitrary connected curves.

Oh, what a mesh this turned out to be...!
/Tore