 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 899
Re: A discovery? and part 3475
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:24:18 GMT

John Jensen <skurt@vip.cybercity.dk> writes:

Consider two edge.dat's same orientation, same position but with
different diameters. If one where to fill out the space between
them, one would have a disc with a hole in it.

To fill in the space between:

inline the two edge's, switch the points in each line of one of the
edges, copy and paste the coordinates from each line to the end of
the corresponding line in the other edge, and voila....

I've done a similar thing myself a few times to generate a cone (and
similar things), and I've been thinking about making a function in
LDraw-mode to make the process easier.  But I failed to see how to
formalize the procedure, so I suspended the idea.  I may get back to
it later on if I find the inspiration...

BTW, I made some corrections to LDraw-mode just now which fixes a few
bugs in the (un)comment functions.  It is now more robust, and
shouldn't barf if you try to comment an empty line, say.

I've also started making the "insert ring primitive" function
according to your idea.  But for now, I lack some information about
which ring primitives which exist!  (I'm on a non-MSDOS system without
"unarj", so I cannot extract the LDraw-library myself to see which
exist.)  If you want to, you can insert the correct numbers in the
variable `ldraw-ring-primitives-available' in the beginning of the
file yourself and play with the function `ldraw-insert-ring-primitive'
bound to `C-c C-r'.  So far it only inserts a ring if it can find
_one_ which fits the desired area.  It really should use two
overlapping if it can't fit only one, but I've yet to implement that.

Wow!  I actually have a user base for my program!  How odd!  ;-)

Fredrik