 CAD / Development / 394
  Re: DAT voting page up

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36d6f2f0.17111521@l...et.com>... (...) Is the soccer ball part spherical with printed pattern, or does the physical part consist of hexagons and pentagons like a real soccer ball? -John Van (25 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Soccer ball pattern

(...) I just checked (using an actual copy of the element :) It's beautiful! -- it's actually a physical imprinted pattern in the plastic of hexagons and pentagons -- then all the pentagons are decorated black. --Todd (25 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) If we follow the standards set by James and use australian english, shouldn't we change the description ? I don't think the word "soccer" is used there. Leonardo (25 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

in australia they call it soccer. football refers to aussie rules. therefore soccer ball is the right name (25 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) Are you sure about that? Surely, in England they use the term "football", and I would guess that they use the same word in Australia. (...) Sorry, I didn't understand this sentence. (...) This doesn't convince me. Fredrik (25 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Soccer ball name

(...) I don't know for sure if "soccer" is used in Australia or not, but in either case, isn't "soccer" guaranteed not to be ambiguous, unlike "football" or "fussball"? In Brasil, do you say "football" or "soccer"? If you don't say "soccer," what (...) (25 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) in australia they call the game that the soccer ball comes from soccer. (...) in australia the term football refers to the australin game aussie rules which is different. (...) (25 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  (canceled)

  Re: Soccer ball name

(...) In the beginning of the century, some british came here and started playing football. At that time it was common to use words from other languages but as the time passed we changed those words to portuguese and now we call it "futebol". (...) (...) (25 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) I've searched the web and discovered that in Australia what they call football looks like rugby. I've only seen one picture but it's a completely different game. (...) Go to your favorite search engine and type "australian footbal". Leonardo (25 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) This sounds very familiar, yes. I was undoubtedly wrong. Fredrik (25 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) Well with at least one different the Aussi rules football is WAY more violent than rugby, more like american football (25 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball name

let's just say that in France nothing comes to mind when you say soccer, it doesn't come close to any name which we use. I'm ready to bet that it is the same in Brazil (BTW we won the world cup :-P ) Todd Lehman a écrit dans le message ... (...) (...) (25 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball name

(...) I only get the one copy -- the one you e-mail to me (assuming it makes it to me OK, which is highly probable but not guaranteed). I also see a copy of the article you posted when I read via NNTP. If I were reading lugnet.cad.dev via e-mail (...) (25 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Soccer ball name

(...) Yes, but you didn't have a LEGO set for your team. :-P Unless those unconfirmed rumors were true. Nah, Matt would have had some by now... Steve (25 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) Seems like there should be a soccer-ball tessalation[1] somewhere on the web, which could be ported to LDraw relatively easily. Steve [1] May be a mis-use of the term -- not sure of the limits on tessalations. (25 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)