 CAD / Development / 2612
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:20:53 GMT

At 10:17 PM 8/13/99 , Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:

I'd say not.  I'm looking more for things along the lines of gathering
links, making sure stuff works, making pages which are not
content-critical.  LDrawing sets in large volume is nice, but its not
something considered 'giving someone an appreciation for the place' IMO.

Why not? I think that Ldrawing sets is indeed useful. But then, my
perspective is that of a consumer of instructions, not a creator of
them, and I certainly know that I do not have the time nor the interest
to get deep into part creation. I am grateful that there are those who
do. It is a tough job and it takes a lot of skill.

LDrawing sets is useful, I'm not disagreeing.  But the thing is Jonathan
has stockpiled bunches and bunches of these LDrawn sets and will just
submit a flood of them without editing out his own 'parts' first.  I'm more
concerned with adhesion to the OMR standards.

But I trust they will not tell me how to architect distributed systems,
just as I would not presume to tell them how to do parts. I may vote on
how the parts look to me, just as I welcome their input on how the
systems I architect perform.

Correct.

But anyway, if there is something that benefits the community as a whole
(not specifically ldraw.org) that Jonathan is good at, and from which a
more constructive interaction might result than if it were something
Jonathan was NOT good at, it seems worth a try to this outsider.

I was just using ldraw.org as a suggestion.  But yes, there are other
things that would benefit the community outside of doing stuff for ldraw.org.

A few ground rules if I may be so bold:
- no asking for parts. Do the sets you have the parts for only.
- no using non standard parts. Not even as mockups.
- if it doesn't display correctly on a system that has all, and only,
the official released parts, it's wrong.

Good thoughts.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Commonwealth Edison: What do you do with OUR power?

Get paid to surf the web!  Visit:
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DGO655