 CAD / Development / 2613
Re: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:29:44 GMT

Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> writes:
Bram Lambrecht wrote:
[1] There wasn't enough memory to L3P the 10,000 piece landscape, so

10,000? Cool.  The most I did was a 3,000 piece model.  No trouble
with memory, even though it mapped into 890,000 primitives (that's what
rounded edges and raised logos will get ya).

I didn't place all 10,000 parts separately, though.  Thanks to Jacob's
fractal landscape generator, I was able to convert a contour map and a
color map of the Fallingwater landscape into a DAT file.  To create the
contour map, I first scanned the part of the plans for Fallingwater from
a book (they contained the most important landscape details as well).
Then I colored it in as best I could to get the layers of land correct.
I reduced the size to 100x100 (well, actually, 150x150 the first time,
but that took too long to render).  I changed the colors to create a
color map and then used both files to create the landscape.  If you
haven't seen the results already, they're here:
http://chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/LEGO/land/fallwtr.html
--Bram