 CAD / Development / 2014
Re: LDAO Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:03:36 GMT

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:28:44 GMT, jamien@interworx.com.au (Jamie Obrien)
wrote:

Hi again, how about creating a basic search routine whereby it starts
in the directory where the Main dat file is, if not there go tot the
root models directoy and work your way down the tree.

That would break the standard LDraw file-search approach, and would only
work in LDAO.  Since LDAO does very little work by itself, this wouldn't be
very useful.

I had to do this
on one of my projects. Or you could create an interface that would
search a dat file for subfiles, place them in the subfile directory(or
a LNK file) and automatically fix up the dat file. Or have multi
folders and let LDAO scan for subfiles and ask the user if he really
wants to move toe dat file. The auto search routine would be easiest
for the user (pain  too code) and be easiest to create the ui for.

My idea was to have LDAO search model files (at least the ones not in
ldraw\models\), looking for subfiles located in the same directory as the
referring file.  If any files were found, LDAO would copy all the files to
a standard location, and fix up the file references in the copies (or at
least copy all the files with location sub-file references).

That wouldn't be too hard to implement (especially if the LDAO Tools
Manager offered an option to control this behavior), but it 'feels kludgy'.
After playing around with LDLite, I realized that LDLite can render from
any directory.  So all I had to do, to support model files in non-standard
directories, was modify the LDLite settings in LDAO's Tool Manager.  I
changed the Working Directory to %path%, and LDAO can have LDLite render
from any directory.

This doesn't help LDraw & LEdit (because their working directory must be
the base ldraw\ directory), but I believe most other LDraw tools will
support this approach.

Steve