 CAD / Development / 2031
Re: LDAO Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:40:21 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 07:02:17 GMT, jamien@interworx.com.au (Jamie Obrien)
wrote:

Hi again, OK another idea that won't break anything!

On the right of the main window, put in a ListView in Report Mode,
with say model name, file size, part counts and other useful info that
can be sorted on.

Hmm, that would be useful.  But so far, I've avoided the Win32 common
controls, and I'd like to keep it that way.  I've even gone so far as to
implement toolbars as PictureBoxen with CommandButtons.

BTW, if you'd like to have a go at implementing your ideas (it sounds like
you are more knowledgeable on the TreeView and ListView controls than I),
the (almost) current source code is available.  I'd be *happy* to include
good stuff I don't have the time/ability to do myself.

Go to <http://home.att.net/~blisses/ldao/source.html>.  The source code is
a mess :(, and there is close to zero doc. :(:(  Probably the best place to
start is main form, LDrawShell (LDrawShell.frm).  The Sub Main() is in the
bas module MainModule (Main.bas).

On the Left put a TreeView listing all of the different style folders
that the user might want, PLUS a folder that lists all of the models
in the models directory. The All folder would display the ListView
like the others would, but might have some icons that indicate sub
model, whether or not the model is sorted in a style folder (space,
town, BS Jr!).

I'm not sure I follow you on 'style folders'.  I'm assuming the user would
create their own style folders?

The user can then drag the file into on of their style folders, thus
marking it as sorted. The file IS NOT moved, but a LNK file is made.
This way a model can exist in more than one style folder.

The gotcha is you would need a way (small Linked List DB) to know what
models are sorted and the such. Could be a bit of a hit at startup, or
even maybe an added 0 xxxxx info in the dat header info?

If the folders aren't nested, this could be easily stored in an ini file
(I'm a big (ab)user of those ini files!).  Or even a plain text file.

Right now though a good instant suggestion would be to provide a
report mode to the main window ListView to give a bit more info about
the files, as Size, Part Count, subfiles, author which could also be
sorted.

And a toolbar with buttons to switch between views.

BTW  VB isn't all that bad as MFC. Those MFC Dlls are a pain,
especially when someone only has a 30Kb prog with 500kb of DLL!!! And
linking C and VB isn't much of a pain (Mostly)

As opposed to a 30K VB program with 2.5Mb of DLL?

Steve