 CAD / Development / 1868
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 06:18:52 GMT

On Tue, 25 May 1999 14:39:53 GMT, "onyx" <onyx@flash.net> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
Is it possible to model the coil with a narrower or more rounded cross
section? this would reduce the scaling problems.
Thanks, Manfred,

it would be no problem to model the coils/wraps with *any* cross-section shape
in the universe.. the reason i went with a diamond was simply to reduce the
number of faces that would have to be rendered... i figured that the metal
portion of the spring was small enough that it didn't need much detail, so
having the renderer tackle fewer faces just makes things run faster for
everyone, no matter what proggy they are using (LDraw, LEdit, LDLite, POV-
Ray)... i have a tendancy to put too much detail in all my modeling work, so
when doing LDraw elements i make an extra effort to pare things down, keeping
in mind that we aren't dealing with professionally-optimized software... if
the community wants a more-detailed cross-section, you can have it. no
problemo!.. i'm just sort of sitting back waiting for the concensus on this
one, i can tackle pretty much any decision we agree upon..

Yes, the consensus.  That is the tough part.
I do think that, whichever way we decide to go, that the cross-section should
have a little more roundness to it.  The output in POV-Ray is proof of that.

OK people, how about this:

Manfreds description of the process he used to scale the parts seems simple
enough.  At least it should be workable enought to produce decent results.
There is the question of the one sticking point he mentioned:
(uncompressed) springs next to eachother. Then I simply changed the Y-scale
value of the open coil primitives from 1 to 0.5, and moved the primitives
closer to eachother by changing the Y-value of the insertion points. In fact
this last bit was the hardest part, because the insertion points of the coil
primitives are not very handy. These should be changed to their center points.
It took me less then 5 minutes.

Jeff, did the insertion point problem make sense? Could you modify the spring
subfiles to change this?  As well as add a skosh more roundness to them?
I can live with a bit more rendering time in LDraw, if it would improve the
appearance in POV.  Any objections to this?

So for now I propose to go ahead and add the shock using subfiles for a do it
yourself spring.  Perhaps also adding a short text message within the file
explaining how to do scaling.

That would mean having the following files:
2909c01   the composite shortcut of the entire piece.
2909.dat   the upper half with printed number.
290.dat     the lower half.
288.dat     spring section center
289.dat     spring section end

If this turns out to be too difficult for too many people, we can think about
adding some form of shortcut for spring lengths or complete assemblies.

How does that sound?

-- Terry K --