 CAD / Development / 1856
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 11:11:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
(about my file COILTEST.DAT in LUGNET.CAD.DAT.PARTS)
[snip]
Cool.  OK, doing a 640x480 rendering now....
While we're all virtually waiting, I'd like to know how long it took you to
create the dat file, and your assesment of the difficulty of doing so.

It wasn't difficult at all, I just did a copy of the spring section lines from
the shock absorber shortcut file, and did a paste two times in a new file. I
moved the insertion points into two different locations to obtain two separate
(uncompressed) springs next to eachother. Then I simply changed the Y-scale
value of the open coil primitives from 1 to 0.5, and moved the primitives
closer to eachother by changing the Y-value of the insertion points. In fact
this last bit was the hardest part, because the insertion points of the coil
primitives are not very handy. These should be changed to their center points.
It took me less then 5 minutes.

It does look pretty good in LDlite, which is a plus.
OK, done.  First, I must say that the uncompressed spring shows some obvious
imperfections.   The coils are noticeably "V" shaped on the outer side. And
the tight section at the bottom appears as multiple flat faces.  <sigh>

That is up to the autor of the part.

The compressed version looks about the way I would expect.  Not terrible, but
the cross-section limitations seen in the uncompressed version are aggravated
by the the scaling.  Makes the coil appear very flat.

Is it possible to model the coil with a narrower or more rounded cross
section? this would reduce the scaling problems.

Now, tossing this up to a temp directory on Hugin.... (semi-real time
operations - what fun!)
tick... tick.... ding!
http://hugin.ldraw.org/JJ_Memorial/hose/coils-test.jpg

Thanks, Manfred,