 CAD / Development / 1630
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:00:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, John VanZwieten writes:

-John Van

i'm not sure if you and steve are completely clear on what terry and i are
concerned about... and even if the two of you are, i'll lay it out for
everyone else that might be hazy on why this "compression" "no compression"
"scaling" etc etc etc thing is such an issue..

the cross-section of the spring coil itself is a small circle (actually it's
modelled as a diamond, i kept its facet count low to minimize the number of
faces in the overall spring)...
this cross-section is like... 1 LDU diameter (i'm not at home right now so i
can't open the .DAT's to check exactly, but go with me on this...)
the spring coil was created by "lofting" this circular cross section along a
helix... the helix ends about 10 LDU higher than its start point...

now we can scale the coil so that the helix only climbs 8 LDU or 5 LDU..
whatever you want.. so that 10 total coils only span 50 LDU instead of 100
like they do in the "relaxed" or "uncompressed" state...

that's the easy part.. the problem is that when you apply this scaling to the
coil you are not just applying that calc to the distance the helix climbs, you
are also distoring the cross section of the spring itself.. so now a spring
that is compressed to half its normal length would render with a flattened
circle (oval) cross-section....

make sense??