 CAD / Development / 1613
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 11:06:15 GMT

On Mon, 10 May 1999 08:30:00 GMT, "Adviesbureau Noord/Zuidlijn"
<nzlijn@euronet.nl> wrote:

-----Original message-----
From: Terry K <legoverse@geocities.com>
To: lugnet.cad.dev@lugnet.com <lugnet.cad.dev@lugnet.com>
Date: maandag 10 mei 1999 4:05
Subject: Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat

Karim wrote:

I have a fourth idea.  It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try to
make it clear:

There would be a total of 3 pieces to make up the shock:

A) Shock lower w/ half of spring
B) Shock upper
C) Spring upper half

Since the spiral is fairly constant (except for the two extreme ends)
over the length of the spring, one could make a spring at any length by
moving the spring halves closer together and then rotating the upper
half until the spiral ends are coincident.

So, the process for building a Shock of 'x' length is:

1) Place Part "A" at desired location.
2) Place Part "B" at desired location and 'x' distance from part "A".
3) Place Part "C" at correct position relative to Part "B".
[at this point, the spring will look funny because the two halves will
overlap and be mis-aligned in the middle of the run of the spring.]
4) Rotate Part "C" until spiral is coincident with Spring segment of
Part "A".

Ideally, the origin for part "C" should match that of part "B", to make
insertion easier.

--Karim

Terry answered:

Leave it to Karim to be clever.  :-)

A very interesting idea.  I am somewhat chagrined to have not thought of it
myself.  The only difficulty is the precise rotation needed.
But I expect that the simplest way of using this assembly will be by making
a shock subfile for your model.  Doing it that way would simplify the
rotational difficulties.  Much easier than trying to place the pieces, at
angles, in a model an then trying to adjust the length and rotate the
spring section.

I would like to ask Onyx (you reading this, Jeff?) if he could whip up a
quick sample based on this idea and we could try some tests.

The idea of using a shock subfile first where the desired shock length is
obtained and then use the subfile for easy placement en rotation, also works
well for the 4th idea Terry mentioned. Terry wrote:

Some people may raise the question of just having one spring length, and
then stretching or compressing it by altering the scale of the piece along
one axis in the dat file.

He rejected it claiming that scaling would be difficult. However, in the
shock subfile the scaling can be done along just one axis, by changing one
number in the line, and that is not difficult at all.
Scaling factor = desired length / original length.
In my opinion scaling the spring this way is easier than the positioning and
rotating method suggested by Karim.

Another negative thing I see with this method is that the dat file _must_ be
manually edited to affect the scaling change.  It can't be done from LEdit.
This is what makes it difficult - at least for the casual user.
Karim's method can be done from LEdit, although I am not sure about the
accuracy - it may be required to edit the dat file to fine tune the movement if
LEdits "fine" mode is not sufficient.
This is something that needs to be tested.

Terry also claimed that scaling the spring part distorts the spring
structure. I think this can be avoided if the scale-able part of the spring
is limited to the section with equal space between the windings. The upper
and lower ends of the spring containing the structure that must remain
undistorted, can be added to the upper and lower pieces of the shock
absorber.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

I fear that doing it that way might result in some very noticeable flaws. The
upper and lower ends of the spring would be nicely proportioned, but the center
of the spring - where it was stretched or compressed - would appear odd.   The
spring would no longer be round.  It would appear to be oval instead.
What would the transition point between round and oval look like?

-- Terry K --