 CAD / Development / 1380
Re: LDraw part library structure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:49:39 GMT

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 03:11:25 GMT, Joshua Delahunty
<dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:

Terry K wrote:

Anyway, thanks to Joshua Delahunty and his solution for the file-naming of
composite elements, the general plan of organization of categories and naming
of parts has been finalized.

You're welcome, Terry.  A labor of love, it was.

<big snip>

---- xxxxCyy.dat ----
This is the new one.
Parts named using this system will be "Composite" parts using the #16
color-code. "Composite" being two or more parts normally joined together in
real life.
These are also for intended for modeling.  We need these because most composite
elements do not have their "official" number molded on.  And on those that do
have a molded number, that number refers to the subpart into which it is
molded, not the entire assembly.
The idea is to use that molded-in number that is most visible, BUT also add the
additional "Cyy" to the end. This will be somewhat more intuitive that using a
completely random number.  And at the same time *clearly* denote that the part
is a #16 color composite.

But what if the composite element has no number molded into it at all?
Simple.  We assign a 3-digit number using the xxxCyy.dat format.
Of course, we try to limit that as much as possible.

Don't even worry about this, Terry.  Either we're going to have a
5-digit code for the entire assembly that we can use, or we're going to
know the 4-digit codes even if they're not molded in.  It would be a
very very rare case where nothing in the element wasn't known.

Most likely true.  Just trying to be cautious.

This, essentially, is the same thing as the Patterned parts using xxxxPyy.dat.
Using this system will give modelers the flexibility of using #16 color
composite parts, even if they don't actually exist in real life.

I want to point out here -- to stress -- the beauty of this solution:

So many didn't like the idea of not using the most "visible" and -- to
them -- obvious code: that stamped somewhere on an element, but this
system allows for that.  30086P01 is going to be sitting right next to
30086 in the list, and will be usable in any color the modeller chooses,
while at the same time marking very plainly the element as an unofficial
code: a code that James might very well have chosen himself (GRHS).

Good clarification.  Thanks for pointing that out.

<big snip>

Whew!  My "summaries" are started to resemble Todd's.  :-)

That's a good thing, Terry.  :)

Only if they are as concise, well-ordered and logical as Todd's.
Mine always seem to be a rambling monologue.  :-/

But seriously, I would like to express my thanks to Joshua Delahunty for all
his brainstorming and hard work on formulating these standards. His ideas for
using underscore categories and the xxxxCyy formatting for composites was
pivotal.   Although initially, I had my doubts.

Initially, ha!  (I had to hit him with a wiffle bat repeatedly, folks)
<g>

And those virtual wiffle bats are HARD!  See?  Reach out here and feel this
lump.  :-)

Ultimately, Joshua was right of course, and I thank him for being so patient
when I was so adamantly dense.

Back atcha, Terry.  The most elegant parts of the solution only came
because of your hard stance on the issues.  The solutions here are
designed to (mostly) please everyone from every camp, and at the same
time -- most importantly to me -- adhere to the standards and tradition
(if you will) that James established from the beginning.

Yeah.......  I adopted the, um, hard stance on those issues specifically to
force you and Steve to carefully weigh all the alternatives.
Yeah, that's the ticket.

And I would also like to thank Steve Bliss for his opinions and inputs through
all this.   Steve and Joshua were pretty much at polar opposites on just about
every subject in this debate.  But somehow we all managed to finally give a
little here and there and compromise out a solution.  Pretty tough going at
times, with me in the middle, vacillating between sides.

Steve was very tough, and we each made the other think very hard about
this.  I'm glad he was there to balance the issues.  It was really his
stance on visible part elements that pushed me to produce the rather
elegant (and orthogonal) xxxxCxx solution.

<snip>

Now to put it into practice.  Ugh.  More stuff to keep track of.
Joshua, limber up your bat arm, I foresee a lot of whacks needed ahead to jar
my memory.  :-)

-- Terry K --