 CAD / Development / 1195
Re: Dimensions of the parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:54:37 GMT

Karim wrote:
Yep, In fact, Microstation is what I used at work also.

Kinda hard to use AutoCAD after MicroStation, neh?  ;-)  I would rather use
MicroStation on a Berkeley / UNIX Sys-5 box with a VAX in the network for
mass storage (1) than a comparable version of AutoCAD on a PC any day.

Hmmm, Yes, It would be nice to be able to "rotate" the coordinate plane (essentially,
reference the rectangular coordinates from a meta-polar grid) so that you could move
pieces "up" and "down" by standard grid increments, even though "up" is 53 degrees or
whatever...

This is kind of what I had in mind anyway.

If handled properly, each piece in a model could have its own virtual
coordinate space, its own "up" and "front", etc.  This abstraction could be
extended to give each planar surface its own "up" and "front", therefore its
own coordinate system.  Translating a point or vector from coord system to
coord system is easy, in fact already done in LEdit.

Hmmm...  I'm envisioning a function for LEdit like "Set virtual coordinate
origin" or some such, where you could select a face of a piece and say "this
is temporary 0,0,0; this is temporary up", etc.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Which is what we had.  VMS...shudder.  :-P

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)