 CAD / Development / 11166
Re: Ideas for partbin group sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:35:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Sergio Reano wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
Hello all,

I've been working on my LDraw editor during my vacation, and I'm wondering on
how to populate the partbin by default. • <snip>

Hi,
I can suggest that using subcategories to filter out parts could be the right
way, even if you can first display all parts of a specified category, and let
the user refine the search by filtering on subcategories.
You may also consider creating your own (or user own sub category) by simply
specifying a word that must match in part description.
For example: when you show the "brick" category, then you can allow user to
choose among some subcategories like "round", "curved", "slope" and, even more
useful, by brick dimension "1 x", "2 x", "n x", or let the user search the
specified category by a word in the part description.

I use a mix of these methods in my SR3DBuilder application and, IMPO, it is
very, very useful.

Yes that's what I was thinking too, but eventually I decided to make it 100%
customizable, all groups are defined by ini files users themself can extend or
change. All those groups are based on filtering rules or static part references.
The problem is getting a nice 'default' collection of groups for the 'out of the
box' usage.

I might add aditional gui filtering to the group display later though.

The same way I find useful a simple search inside description, especially when I
don't know how a part is categorized.

Some consideration about interface also:
I have not seen yours, but I found very, very annoying having to scroll along a
listbox, or even worse a group listbox where you have to expand groups to show
subgroups and then collapse them or you can't understand where you are since the
list is too long!

I don't like to scroll ether, that's why made the bin hierarchical, so you can
use 'small' groups.

The problem, in both cases, is to balance the number of click you need to find
the required part and the amount of the screen required to display items.
Also consider that the most frequently used parts should be the more accessible:
it doesn't mind if you need 15 secs or more to find the "trash-bin", but you
must need no longer than 3 sec to find the 1 x 1 plate round.

Indeed not finding parts can be very annoying, especially if you don't know the
name of it. The bin also includes a special history group, so over time often
used parts can be found there as well.

Hope these hints can help you.
And I'm very interested in testing your software ;-)

Thanks, but I suspect my way of editing stuff is more like mlcad then your
sr3dbuilder. But the more the merrier :)

Sergio