 CAD / Development / 11160

Subject:
Ideas for partbin group sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:30:31 GMT

Hello all,

I've been working on my LDraw editor during my vacation, and I'm wondering on
how to populate the partbin by default.

The general mechanics are done and I only need to 'sort' the library so it's
handy to use during editing.

I got the 'standard' by category groups but most of the more usable are huge
(300+ parts). So I think i should also provide a more sorted collection of bins.

I was thinking something like 'Plane bricks (no stickers patterns etc)', 'All
1x1 brick variants' etc. 'Techic pins', 'technic gears', 'technic bricks', etc
etc etc. these can then be organized in a tree manner.

But although my editor supports an unlimited amount of (extendability) bin
groups, this might generate too many groups.

'part bin groups' are generated by ini like files like e.g.

-example-

[options]
kind=filter
caption=Plaine bricks
description=Basic bricks without stickers etc
mascot=3003.dat
sortOn=description
sortDesc=false
sortCaseInsensitive=true

<rules>
include category brick
exclude descriptionPrefix ~
exclude descriptionPrefix _
exclude description duplo
exclude description pattern
exclude description pat.
exclude description spring
exclude description sticker
exclude description logo

---------

Above group is a filter group, but you could even use 100% handpicked content
for groups.

I'm also open for people wanting to help (dummy) test the 'basic basic' version
I'm hoping to finish this month.

If anyone is interested helping with ether testing or the part bin please
response here, or email me directly.

Thanks

Roland

Re: Ideas for partbin group sorting
In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
Hello all,

I've been working on my LDraw editor during my vacation, and I'm wondering on
how to populate the partbin by default.

The general mechanics are done and I only need to 'sort' the library so it's
handy to use during editing.

I got the 'standard' by category groups but most of the more usable are huge
(300+ parts). So I think i should also provide a more sorted collection of bins.

--snip--

Thanks

Roland

Hi Roland,

Had you considered having sub-categories? I'd love to see the following if you
could.

Bricks
-Plain
-Patterened
-Modified
-Panels
Plates & Tiles
-Plates
-Tiles
-Patterned tiles
-Brackets
Round parts
-Cones
-Dishes
-Cylinders
-Bars
-Domes
-Arches
Slope bricks
-45 degree
-33 degree
-other
Technic
-Bricks
-Liftarms
-Axles and pins
-PFS and Electric
-Other
Other building parts
-Wheels
-Tyres
-Car parts
-Train parts
-Doors
-Windows
-Cockpits
-Plant parts
Wedges & Wings
-Wedges
-Wings
Minifig
-Heads
-Body parts
-Helmets
-Other
Other

That's based on my MLCAD list and how it would be if I could have sub-levels.
Currently a bundle quite a few of these.

Tim

[...]

Thanks this seems like a good starting point,

I there a (practical) reason you didn't put slope bricks under bricks e.g.:

bricks
- plain
- etc
- slope
- - 45 deg
- - 33 deg

The bin supports unlimited levels and you can use the same group in multiple
branches.

Roland

Re: Ideas for partbin group sorting
Thanks this seems like a good starting point,

I there a (practical) reason you didn't put slope bricks under bricks e.g.:

bricks
- plain
- etc
- slope
- - 45 deg
- - 33 deg

The bin supports unlimited levels and you can use the same group in multiple
branches.

Roland

There is a reason. I tend to sort bricks by function (give or take) and slope
bricks are rarely interchangeable with regular bricks.

With multiple levels I'd probably favour

Slopes
-45 deg
--1x
--2x
--other
-33 deg
--1x
--2x
--other
-Other

That way if you want to build, say, a roof you can simply select the category
with the correct angle and choose widths from there.

Obviously I'm not trying to force my own systems on you. But that's why I keep
them separate.

Tim

Re: Ideas for partbin group sorting