 CAD / Development / 10269
Re: What mailing list for Peeroml ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:09:38 GMT

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments.

   I fear that even with Dan and Jennifer Bogers cooperation this project may not spread too far as most people are unlikely to learn a new language (especially one with such strange syntax as OCaml) just for database enquiries for Lego. It is nice to see so much enthusiasm but perhaps it could be more efficiently directed.

I don’t expect OCaml to spread like a virus, or being a popular scripting language. All that i have asked is a single homepage where people (eventually nobody) could have downloaded the whole thing. I didn’t expected neither compliments, neither congratulations nor anything ressembling community gratitude.

Just one web page with a title, a description, a download link and the usual disclaimer or TOC. That’s little work for a webmaster (ok that’s not a giant leap for humanity).

   For any future projects I would recommend asking for permission and agreement from existing stakeholders before beginning, either privately or publically. Cooperation usually involves both parties working together from the start or at least being aware of each other.

I guess i will retain the lesson.

   To release something which uses another persons work (both in copyright and database) without first asking them is actually quite rude. Although I’m sure you didn’t intend to do so, you are stealing from that person. I understand the difficulties in trying to communicate in someone elses language but that is even more reason to contact people first.

How can i steal Peeron.com by giving them my work? That’s what is beyond my comprehension. I haven’t ever publicly realeased software containing material derived from Peeron. Only an early protype that contained OCaml code but no Peeron database. Now that my software is “enhanced” with several hundreds sets extracted from Peeron, i am ready to give it to Dan Boger, including any rights on the code, documentation, example LDraw files, accept the charge of maintenance, follow LDraw updates, provide OCaml assistance, and whatever conditions Dan and Jennifer want.

In my language that’s what i call a contribution, not stealing. Ok i want to be payed with a homepage at Peeron.com and that makes me look like a webspace stealer.

   I’m sorry if this sounds harsh but I am just trying to give you some advice to help you in the future. I look forward to seeing other projects from you.

Yours,

In the state i am right now, replying to me is already a service. The more harsh it sounds the more credible you are. Always tell what you think, i am a programmer, above all i value what is explicit.

Regards,

Damien

See my webpage: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/

Last minute: i receive some supportive mails. Some complain Outlook stripped out my Peeroml.exe attachment (sorry you won’t receive another copy). Some say i have the legal right to do whatever i want with my creation and i should release it now whatever Dan says. But the problem is not about the rights i have (or don’t have), the problem is whether the community benefits or not. Seems to me a public release now would be a huge mistake. I prefer peace in the community and hide the culprit.