 CAD / Development / 10268
Re: What mailing list for Peeroml ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:05:30 GMT

   I never wanted to compete with Peeron.com, so right now the more probable outcome is Peeroml will forever live on my hard disk.

Or will someone offer me another chance?

Regards,
  1. damien

Hi Damien,

I fear that even with Dan and Jennifer Bogers cooperation this project may not spread too far as most people are unlikely to learn a new language (especially one with such strange syntax as OCaml) just for database enquiries for Lego. It is nice to see so much enthusiasm but perhaps it could be more efficiently directed.

For any future projects I would recommend asking for permission and agreement from existing stakeholders before beginning, either privately or publically. Cooperation usually involves both parties working together from the start or at least being aware of each other.

To release something which uses another persons work (both in copyright and database) without first asking them is actually quite rude. Although I’m sure you didn’t intend to do so, you are stealing from that person. I understand the difficulties in trying to communicate in someone elses language but that is even more reason to contact people first.

I’m sorry if this sounds harsh but I am just trying to give you some advice to help you in the future. I look forward to seeing other projects from you.

Yours,

Tim