 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 481
Re: 11-16 primitives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 20:22:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Travis Cobbs wrote:

When the LSC updated the spec to allow 21.3 filenames, I don't think any of us were aware that this would create a problem for PARTS.LST.

Were any other issues anticipated?

However, looking at the file, there's a chance that MLCAD will work
perfectly well with longer filenames inside it.

I did a short test of MLCAD with a modified PARTS.LST.  The results were mixed -
MLCAD seems OK using an altered-format PARTS.LST file, but re-generating
PARTS.LST from MLCAD results in an invalid file.

For the test, I copied 55706.dat to 55706longfile.dat, and changed the first
line of my PARTS.LST to:

55706longfile.dat Animal Bat Wing 9 x 9 with Axle

(trailing space chars trimmed for this post, but left in the test file)

MLCAD was perfectly happy to use this modified file, and seemed to work just
fine.  I examined the parts tree control, dragged the part into the edit panel,
etc.

However, MLCAD's "Scan Part" command did not work as well.  It generated a new
PARTS.LST, writing the new line as:

55706longfile.Animal Bat Wing 9 x 9 with Axle

When I exited and re-entered MLCAD, it seemed to ignore this entry -- the part
did not appear in the parts tree.

I also tried running mklist -- it crashed, hard,  on the long file name. :(

Steve

If I understand that, this would mean that we could use a new mklist tool and we
can start using that long filenames.
The possibility to use MLCad for generating PARTS.LST will be away, but this
only a little cut.

cu
mikeheide