 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 280
Re: How do I name this torus?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 05:48:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss writes:

Maybe I'm blind (really, just ask my optometrist), but I don't see where
such a 'bagel torus' would be used on the jetpack.  Could you
elaborate/specify a bit?

Yes, I can.  If you have taken a look at the rough mockups I posted in
CAD/PARTS, you will see a reference to a subfile called "fettorus.dat".
This is in fact the primitive in question (although scaled up by a factor of
8), and it is used as the perimeter of the top of the helmet.  It seems that
in the LEGO Star Wars Universe, the Fetts have flat heads.  Maybe that's why
they're so ruthless.  ;^)

I suppose we should have thought of the 1:1 torus when we worked out the
name-format.  You can't win them all, eh?

Don't worry, I think the system, once learned, is a good one.  Torii are
pretty complicated shapes to confine to 8+3 dos filenames...  I think this
is probably the best compromise to maintain continuity in LDRAW.

Personally, I'm thinking "t04o9999.dat" is probably the best route to go,
without completely revamping the whole torus-name format.  After all,
"t04o3333.dat" isn't strictly accurate, either, but it's easily understood.

So let me know when the verdict is in, and I'll submit the primitive (in
it's corrected form, of course).

Thanks,
Tim Romine
AFOL for life