 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5989
Re: Working the held queue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:16:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Chris Dee wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3149c02.dat

let me know if someone want's me to set up a poll at ldraw.org:
is part 3149c02.dat "unneccessary" or "neccessary" ROFL

I understand the intent, but think this is just one of those legacy issues we
have to live with. I see how holding a poll would democratic, but standards are
not easily achieved through democracy.

I agree that perhaps a poll isn't the right way to go,

guys, I was kidding!!!

but the part does address
a valid problem.  While this particular part is a shortcut part, there are other
parts in the library that have bad origin/rotation settings that aren't
shortcuts.  Obviously we can't change the existing parts, but perhaps we should
come up with an official naming/meta tag convention for "user-friendly" versions
of existing official parts, and allow these to be submitted for any part.

While you are correct that standards aren't easily achieved through democracy,
that is the type of thing that the LDraw Standards Committee is supposed to take
care of, isn't it?  (That's my understanding, at least.  Since I'm one of the
new members of the committee, please set me straight if I'm wrong about this.)

--Travis

no need. IMHO you're absolutely right on this. please take it to the LSC once
the new mailing list is up and running.

w.