 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5609
Re: BBB wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:01:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   Er... Never mind. So the added generations did something funky to the filesize.

When importing from 3DS files into Max, you need to weld vertices for the model after import. 3DS files contain lots of coincident vertices for historic reasons.

“max2dat” (my new name for ase2dat) now has native 3DS support, and handles redundant vertices as well. So, nothing funky should happen in the conversion you described if you try it again with my new converter.

Please note, though, that if there is no smoothing group information in the 3DS file (it will be lost if you start from or go through any kind of CAD file format), max2dat will not generate good edges. For now, it depends on the smoothing information - I haven’t even tried to do any ad-hoc automatic smoothing, at least not yet.

Stefan G