 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5610
5609  |  5611
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Slope parts with patterns...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:09:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Mark Chittenden wrote:
Would making the pattern face of a slope (or wedge) a subpart to be used with
the main piece (without face) subpart be ok? I'm thinking, that for slopes (and
wedges), it would be easier to make the pattern a flat subpart, then rotate the
subpart to the desired angle. I got this ideal from the patterned slope from set
7130 - Snowspeeder, and the patterned wedge from set 4500 - Rebel Snowspeeder.
Unless I am mistaken, the wedge 4 x 4 has the exact same pattern printed on it
as the slope brick 18 2 x 4 - and I think both pieces have the same angle to
their slope.

Here's peeron link's for comparison of the two pieces:
Slope - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30363px1
Wedge - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4858px4

I for one think this is a good idea.  Rather than rotating the subpart, you
might find it easier to use a shear matrix.  To shear a part, you basically
decide which axes are effected, such as the part's Y value increases or
decreases as the Z value increases, and then add a shearing factor to the matrix
in the right spot.  the line would look like this:

#   1 15 a b c X 0 0 0 Y W 0 0 Z rect.dat

where W is the shear factor.  It takes some trial and error to get it right, but
it can be very useful.

here's a real example:
1 15 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 2 rect.dat