 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5606
Re: BBB wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:15:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ross Crawford wrote:

   Bummer! Oh well. I have yet to get the OK from Ben to post the DATs, but my filesizes are:

   Ben’s
   Mine

fw176.dat
   660k
   39.7k

fd304.dat
   881k
   50.1k

bd304.dat
   732k
   50.2k

Wow, those are great. I can’t touch that with the software-based converters.. At least not yet! Sorry - didn’t know if I needed permission to post the DATs - didn’t Ben already make them public? Oh well. I guess I can take them down if people get angry? ?

I decided my little exercise wasn’t a fair test of what ase2dat was meant to do - there were too many steps in between. BUT I thought it might be interesting to see if I could model one of Ben’s parts from scratch (I used AutoCAD) and then convert to DAT using Stefan Gustavson’s tool. Then at least I could compare filesizes a little more directly.
  • Solid ACIS model (dwg file) = 193K
  • Exported to 3DS = 125K

  • Imported to MAX as DWG and exported as ASE = 202K
  • Imported to MAX as 3DS and exported as ASE = 660K
(admittedly this is an added step, I could’ve modeled it in MAX)

Converted with ase2dat:
The 3ds converted model looks the best (even though it is one generation removed) but it’s still huge. I think I like Ben’s original DAT better too. Don’t know what he used (I’m guessing stl2dat?). I also don’t know how either file is handling conditional lines, etc.

The dwg converted model looks really blocky, but it’s probably good enough for mock ups. I have no idea how either of them will render, as I don’t use the programs you guys use.. I don’t know, what do you think?

Obviously, your hand-coded stuff is much more efficient, but all of these software translators are in their infancy. Hopefully they’ll get better.

Darrell