 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5564
Re: New game: Orphan part of the week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:25:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:

If we have not done so already, I would say we make a 'ophaned parts clause' and
display it on the parts tracker pages.

Yes, I think that sounds like a good idea.

The Contributor Agreement we are putting in place addresses taking over orphans
inasmuch as authors agree that LDraw.org has:
" - The right to create derivative works of the Work"

That covers it I think. The mechanics of how to do adoption are not clear
though, perhaps a periodic post of orphans or something?

I would say if there has been no author or last change author changes or notes
for some period of time, the part would be considered orphaned.

I already knew what you meant but I had trouble parsing that!

There are a few(maybe several) parts that I have posted what need some
attention. I simply do not have time to devote to them right now. If someone
wants to pick them up and run, go for it, please leave a note saying you are
doing so.
Emails are nice. I usually reply in a few days.

I agree, if someone wants to take over a part, an email is a good approach,
perhaps better than just up and doing it and submitting a new version. Less
surprises that way.

I think the method we currently use is good:

Make all reasonable efforts to contact the author.  If the author doesn't reply
after a reasonable period of time (3-4 months is good) then make the fixes
needed.

Also, many held parts are known to be held by the authors but the fixes are
lengthy and so the author shoves them off to the back burner (I have at least
one part in this category)

The orphans not addressed by this are those parts that are rare or obscure.
These parts don't get hold votes but tend sit on the PT and not get reviewed
since no one has a real life example to compare.  I'm not sure how to fix this
but I think a new process might need to be developed.

-Orion