 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5523
Re: Part building advice - too many triangles/quads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:50:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Lee Gaiteri wrote:
The current files are about 2.2K for the main part, 29.2K for the subpart.

Anyway I'm wondering if the sheer number of surfaces is just too many.

The part looks great.  As far as file size, I don't think 29.2K is too large at
all, especially for a complicated curvy part like this.  Others may disagree but
I thinl that quality should never be sacrificed for file size concerns.

Lee:

I tend to think the same thing. File size is important in that it impacts load
times, render times, memory consumption while editing designs and etc., but it's
not like there are going to be scads of models (unless someone CADs up a chef
school interior :-) ) that use a lot of copies of this part. So get it right and
get it done in a way that's efficient for the author, that is, you.

For some part that is used a LOT, or for a primitive, I would be more concerned
about file size, but even THEN I would tend to agree with Orion. Do what you can
to make it more efficient, sure (and there it is worth spending more author time
on) but even then don't sacrifice accuracy or quality.

Clearly your render demonstrates that this part is going to be very good looking
despite the symmetry compromises you made, and it's a part people have wanted
for a long time. 29K is well worth it in my view. How much was the Lunar Crater
plate? (that one was well worth the cost in primitives too) Well over 100K,
IIRC.

I'm just glad someone took the time to make this part, it's very nifty. Thanks
Lee! (now I can make that chef school interior I've been wanting to make, hehe.
Or perhaps Chef Brian from Cntl-Alt-Del... Oh, and maybe my Skyline Chili cooks
can stop wearing baseball caps! :-)  )

As for you worrying you were rambling, ramble on! It improves us all to hear
authors talk about their work.