 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5528
Re: Part building advice - too many triangles/quads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:36:20 GMT

Thanks everyone for the advice. After posting last night I went ahead and changed the hat puff to a 1/8 segment and called it s/6898s1_8.dat. Any conditional lines falling along the x, z, x+z (diagonal), or x-z axes were moved into the main file to avoid some of the concerns I had with mirroring. Then all the ones that required mirroring (rather than mere rotation) were BFC inverted. (I could have rotated by 45 degrees instead of mirroring, but I knew it’d be better to stick with exact numbers.)

I also decided to add the sloped bottom to the hat. The quads I put in for the bottom edge now have 5-digit precision on the y axis, only because I wanted to be absolutely sure they’d merge correctly with a sheared 4-4edge.dat primitive. But there are only 16 of those quads, so I decided to forgo that precision elsewhere. This slope is oriented so that it’s longer in the back (back being the +z direction, since heads normally face -z).

Chris, I took your advice on the 3-digit accuracy and rounded off every coordinate that doesn’t connect to a primitive. Fortunately there are only 6 of those primitive connection points for the 1/8 subpart, and 2 of them already use integer values. (The puff connects to the button on top and to the stem’s outer cylinder.)

The new file size is 8.44K for the main file, 13K for the subpart. That’s more than okay to me. The new files are here:

http://lummoxjr.byond.com/lego/6898.dat

http://lummoxjr.byond.com/lego/6898s1_8.dat

Now then, some follow-up questions: 1) Is my subpart file name kosher? I much prefer this to s/6898s00.dat. After looking I couldn’t find much of a clear answer on whether there’s a standard for this beyond following the part number with s. 2) How would one go about submitting a part with subparts to the tracker? I didn’t submit 6251.dat myself, so the tracker submission process is unknown to me. (For that matter, I have a minor update to 6251.dat to share.)

I’d like my next project to be x79.dat, which raises some intriguing questions. This part has curves etched into the sides to simulate bunched fabric. If I went ahead and modeled it without looking into a better approach, I’d be overlooking a wonderful opportunity. The problem of producing an etched curve on a surface is just another form of the problem of producing raised lines on such a surface--the technique that would be needed to produce hair pieces. Whoever comes up with a tool that can gracefully produce a surface with etched/raised splines according to user specifications will have opened the door for good part authors to “easily” create textured minifig hair. The main questions to my mind are how best to implement such a tool, and what information it would require to do a good job. Clearly this will require a lot more thinking out loud.

Lummox JR