 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5258
RE: Onion Dome (part 44511) from Orient Expedition sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 21:40:54 GMT

I would have to disgree.  The part is half a dome - it takes two • parts
to make a complete dome,
I would argue that two parts back to back make something that is not an • actual
dome, but rather some shape never seen in reality.

According to my dictionary a dome is any curved or vaulted roof.  It
does not have to be circular, or even regular.  The fact that something
doesn't exist in reality is hardly a reason to reject a name for what is
a toy.

The fact that the resulting shape is not half of a circle is largely
irrelevant IMHO.
I would disagree, it is in fact highly relevant. If I take an idealised • onion
dome and divide it in half, I do not get this part.

According to my book on Russia and the Winter Palace, there is no such
thing as a standard onion dome, they squashed them to fit as necessary.

Compare to the panel quarter cylinder. That actually IS 1/4 of
something.
Agreed.  It is a quarter of what you get if you put 4 of them together,
as is this part half of what you get if you place two of them together.

Even if you remove the "extra" bit at the open side,
the part is not circular.  It varies from circular at the top, • through
an series of increasing and then decreasing elipses, and back to
circular (but offset from the top circle by 20LDU) at the bottom.

You can see this placing two at right angles and then comparing the • z=0
and x=0 plane profiles

All the above is true, and very nicely supports my argument that this • part is
not half a dome.  (thanks!) Calling it 1/2 would lead the user to • believe that
perhaps, if they place two back to back they would get a complete dome. • They
will not.

Your arguement is flawed by assuming that domes are circular, or even
elliptic.  They are not.  A dome is any curved roof.  This part is quite
clearly a curved roof.  Place two back to back and you get a whole
curved roof, therefore one must be (by mathematical definition) half of
the whole.

OK, so what would you call it that enables a user to locate the part?

And I still need to know the Category for it

thanks

William