 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5261
Re: Onion Dome (part 44511) from Orient Expedition sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 08:35:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I am sure they did. But they didn't make things that had figure eight cross
sections much of the way up, if I am not much mistaken.
This part has no figure 8 cross sections either.  The horizontal (ie parallel to
the Y=0 plane) cross sections all terminate with the normal to the curve at
right angles to the open face and the widest part of the cross section is always
at the open face, therefore all horizontal cross sections are "half elleptic
with the open ends flattened" - "half lozenge" is a possible description of the
cross-sectional shape

Your arguement is flawed by assuming that domes are circular, or even
elliptic. They are not.
I mean in cross section horizontally.
So did I

Please provide a cite for a dome that is,
in cross section horizontally, a squashed figure 8.
I can't, but then I don't have to as the part neither is a squashed figure of
eight.
For a lozenge horizontal cross-sectional dome see
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/DOMES/GEORGIA/g-anal.html

William