 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4852
Re: how to make graphics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:02:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Kunce wrote:
   Well i have the graphics correctly sized against the part. all but the circle graphics... is there way to do this, that other people have used in the past. also the color is a gradient. how do you work with that?

I’m just guessing here, but there’s probably NOT a way to do this via LDraw proper. On the other hand, there’s probably a way to make it work in POV-Ray, I just don’t know how...

   my question now is, do i need to do anything to surface that they are going to be applied to? or do i just put them at the exact same position as the plane they are printed on.

Yes, but the pattern does not go over the existing plane -- it does not overlap with the existing plane. Your pattern will be defined via diffferent DAT shapes to replace the sections of the plane where your pattern occurs. You are defining a skin around empty space.

When you are adding a pattern to a particular plane of an existing DAT element it works more or less like this:

1. remove the portions if the existing plane that are located in the area you need to place your pattern (if you were to need a big square, you would remove that quad section of the existing plane, this might require different techniques to achieve depending on the element in question).
2. if you are saving and checking your work via something like MLcad or LDview or whatever, save and look at what you have now -- you should be able to see right through the element where you have removed the needed pattern area. You should be seeing an interior or back wall or something like that.
3. now, to create the pattern you want on that plane you will need to fill in the space you “erased” in the earlier step -- if it was just a square, you’d fill in a quad in the place where the pattern occurs. You may need to refill adjacent space to fully “skin” your plane again.
4. patterns do not overlap with the existing plane, they replace the plane where necessary.

While this is not really for public consumption, see this page anyway:

http://www.freewebs.com/raininmysoup/explained.html

The part described is non-official lego element; and this illustration was created by me to see how easy/hard it would be to explain DAT authoring to a novice. The element illustrated is my Lady Blacktron torso as designed by me and DAT-authored by great Lego pal Tony Hafner (98% Tony’s work) -- there’s a weeny amount of DAT authoring there on my part.

The main thing to note is the “wire-frame” of the design. See all the bits outlined in black, yellow, and white? All those lines and shapes need to be defined in the DAT file to replace the three quads that would otherwise exist in the same space as in step 2.

I hope this helps.

-- Hop-Frog