 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4620
Re: 2867.dat Curved 9V Track - reddy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 05:42:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ludo Soete writes:

Here's the promessed 9V curved track. It's a bit earlier than announced a
few days ago, i could work sunday the whole day on it. I hope you like it,
and that there arent too many errors in it.
If any errors found, let me know, so that i can make changes before upload
to the parts tracker (end April)

Very nice!  Good work on this. :)

However (I always seem to have a 'however' ;), I'm not sure about your
choice of the zero-point and the orientation of the part.  The point you
chose was very logical, but it might not be practical.  In relation to
'normal' stud-based positioning of parts, your centerpoint is at an
non-integer location.  When using the part, people will have to:
    add the part to their model
    set their center of rotation
    move the part in the +Z one radius of the track-circle (I don't remember
the turning radius of lego track off the top of my head, sorry)
    Rotate the part 11.25 degrees

Once they've done this, the edge of the track will be aligned with the studs
in the rest of their model.  Then they place the track where it needs to go.

I think (this is IMO, not hard facts) that it would be better to position
the part so that one end of the track was aligned along an axis.

Let me know what you think -- I'm a little tired right now, my analysis may
be incomplete.

Steve