 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4619
Re: 9V Curved Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:46:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.trains, Ludo Soete writes:
In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.trains, Ludo Soete writes: • ...
The 'zero' point is normally at the center of the part ...

It's the 'normal' part that trips me up! Consider these parts:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3063
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2357

From a geometry point of view, these are pretty similar. But (according to
MLCad) the center of the macaroni is the circle center; the center of the
2x2 'L' is the middle stud. (Note that they are not oriented the same way
either.) Your center point matches the 2x2 'L' philosophy (the center
bisects the part) but the orientation of curve isn't like either part; you
rotate the curve so that the middle tie is axis-aligned.

The information i have abouth parts center comes from the LDRAW FAQ -
Question24 Steve Bliss writes :
Tip#1: The Ldraw standard for positioning is to the center of the piece on
X=0 and Z=0. Usually, the top of the part (excluding studs) is set to Y=0.
Unquote

If i do have a problem to figure out where i should take the centerpoint,
i'll ask Steve. Perhaps interesting for you is that the centerpoint of the
(hopefully) upcoming points is at the center of the straight track (in the
neighborhood of the fixation hole), not the center of the point itself.

<SNIP>
Whats the purpose for this data?

I'm working on a program that works with LDraw data, but requires additional
information, like how part geometry interconnects. I'll talk anyone's ear
off about it offline, but I don't want to announce it in a public forum
until it is closer to completion.

I agree with that.

Cary
FUT cad.dat.parts