 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4251
Re: 1381 Vampire Crypt figs (and garlic tile)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:28:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Could you do the heads as flat patterns, if there was a way to project them
onto the minifig heads?

quad2dat's author clearly is already thinking about this as there is a flat
pattern template for the head (what you would get if you unfolded the head
surfaces) but trying to use it gets you a crash...

Interesting.  I can open the head template with no problem.  It doesn't
seem to want to save as DAT, though.  I didn't get a crash.

It seems like it would be hard to get scans that are an unrolled version
of the minifig head.   That is, you'd have to roll the head along the
surface of the scanner while it was scanning.  Or (slightly more
practical) you'd have to do several scans of the head, from different
angles, then cut strips from each scan and paste them together.

Wouldn't it make more sense to build the quadpad file as if drawing on a
glass pane placed in front of the minifig face, then project that
construction onto the pseudo-cylinder by updating the Z values?

Steve

That is how I've coded up minifig heads in the past. Mentally divide face 45
degrees either side of the centre line and draw the region from +45 to -45 as a
plane, then project that onto the four facets of the hexdecagon. Then if
necessary, do the same for the lateral elements of the pattern.

Chris