 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4161
Re: New Part in progress - Baseplate 32 x 32 with Craters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:28:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager writes:
1.. take a pencil and draw lines around your model. the distance in height is the height of a plate (sorry about my poor english.
I hope you get it at least.)
2.. take a picture from above. use a long lens (120 mm or longer) to eliminate any perspective distortion. (take also pictures
from the sides to check the final shape in the sideviews).
3.. scan it (yes, I used an old-fashion camera, due to the poor resolution of my digicam). the scan was 6000 x 4000 pixel.
4.. use a software like illustrator, freehand to get paths of the altitude lines and convert it to dxf, 3ds, lwo ... or import the
picture into your cad software if it can handle it an make polygons, splines .... don't waste time and effort to make a smooth path,
just use straight lines. a rough path or polygon will do the job. I used a grid of 56 point (the crater hill is 28 studs long - I
divided the distance between studs and layers by 2 to get more detail). as a result you will get 9 to 10 layers.
5.. ultimately connect the single points.
you see the whole process is simple but time-consuming. there are surely better and more efficient ways and for cad-wizards (like
most of you probably are) with a proper software it won't take a month to get a rough shape, but ... this method is pretty precise
and it works, at least it works for me.

willy

Huh, this is a real photogrammetry project with aerial pictures,
orthophotos, digital elevation model, map processing etc. The next obvious
step in the future is to apply GPS technology to capture the Lego landscape :-).

Congratulations,
Ampi