 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4101
Re: New Part in progress - Baseplate 32 x 32 with Craters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:31:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:

have a look at the "beta-version" of the part I'm currently working on and tell me what do you think. any suggestions and critical
statements are welcome, but please consider that some areas still need a lot of refinement. especially the two ends have to be
remade from scratch. it particularly interests me if the definition of the mesh is high enough.

http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_1.jpg (39 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_2.jpg (55 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_3.jpg (51 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_4.jpg (50 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_5.jpg (25 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_6.gif (33 KB) - mesh

Wow!  I think you've definitely got sufficient detail there.

another critical point is the bottom of the baseplate. to keep the file at a reasonable size I would prefer a closed version, where
the bottom doesn't mirror the top. someone could argument that the bottom in the original lego® part reassembles the profile of the
hill but even a rough mesh would result in some 1000 to 2000 triangles (well, how much MB ram does your computer have? ;-)

If you include a comment in the part file, indicating that the bottom is
modeled as a flat surface to reduce the size/complexity of the part, I
think that would be alright.

Steve