 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4140
Re: New Part in progress - Baseplate 32 x 32 with Craters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:02:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager writes:
you also won't see any quads 'cos my cad-program doesn't support them, but most of the triangles will be substitute by
quadrilaterals in the final version.

bye, willy

Hi Willy,

Your part looks very good, it is amazingly detailed.

My only comment is that in the case of a complex freeform shape like this
hill, there are few chance to find neighbouring and coplanar triangles that
can be substituted by one coplanar quad. (If I remember well, it is not
legal in Ldraw to use non-coplanar quads.) The homogenius all-triangle mesh
is better. Please consider this if you plan to reduce the filesize. (Just an
example to compare with, the 2610.dat Minifig Lifevest is very small in
dimensions but 116K filesize)

BTW I'd like to know what Cad software did you use, and how did you capture
or digitize this very complex shape. Could you give us a brief description
of your method.

Thanks in advance

Ampi

         Imre Papp