 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4089

Subject:
New Part in progress - Baseplate 32 x 32 with Craters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:35:31 GMT

hi folks,

have a look at the "beta-version" of the part I'm currently working on and tell me what do you think. any suggestions and critical
statements are welcome, but please consider that some areas still need a lot of refinement. especially the two ends have to be
remade from scratch. it particularly interests me if the definition of the mesh is high enough.

http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_1.jpg (39 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_2.jpg (55 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_3.jpg (51 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_4.jpg (50 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_5.jpg (25 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_6.gif (33 KB) - mesh

the middle-section is almost finished. there is to do little work at the top-layer and the joints where the "hills" meet the rest of
the body. but if you feel that I have to put more attention on certain areas don't hesitate to send jpgs with the zone circled in
red. you also won't see any quads 'cos my cad-program doesn't support them, but most of the triangles will be substitute by
quadrilaterals in the final version.

another critical point is the bottom of the baseplate. to keep the file at a reasonable size I would prefer a closed version, where
the bottom doesn't mirror the top. someone could argument that the bottom in the original lego® part reassembles the profile of the
hill but even a rough mesh would result in some 1000 to 2000 triangles (well, how much MB ram does your computer have? ;-)

bye, willy

Re: New Part in progress - Baseplate 32 x 32 with Craters
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager writes:
hi folks,

have a look at the "beta-version" of the part I'm currently working on and >tell me what do you think.

I like it, very nice work.

another critical point is the bottom of the baseplate. to keep the file at a >reasonable size I would prefer a closed version, where
the bottom doesn't mirror the top. someone could argument that the bottom in >the original lego® part reassembles the profile of the
hill but even a rough mesh would result in some 1000 to 2000 triangles
(well, how much MB ram does your computer have? ;-)

I think a closed bottom will work as I don't see a functional reason to have
it not be (plus the save in file size will be good).

-Orion

[...]

Hi Willy,

Wow, I am positively impressed.
The helmet, and now the crater plate: you are a significant classic space
contributor.
Save time and effort: a flat bottom is ok for me.

Congratulation,

Damien

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:

have a look at the "beta-version" of the part I'm currently working on and tell me what do you think. any suggestions and critical
statements are welcome, but please consider that some areas still need a lot of refinement. especially the two ends have to be
remade from scratch. it particularly interests me if the definition of the mesh is high enough.

http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_1.jpg (39 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_2.jpg (55 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_3.jpg (51 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_4.jpg (50 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_5.jpg (25 KB) - render
http://space.tin.it/io/wtschage/craters_6.gif (33 KB) - mesh

Wow!  I think you've definitely got sufficient detail there.

another critical point is the bottom of the baseplate. to keep the file at a reasonable size I would prefer a closed version, where
the bottom doesn't mirror the top. someone could argument that the bottom in the original lego® part reassembles the profile of the
hill but even a rough mesh would result in some 1000 to 2000 triangles (well, how much MB ram does your computer have? ;-)

If you include a comment in the part file, indicating that the bottom is
modeled as a flat surface to reduce the size/complexity of the part, I
think that would be alright.

Steve

Re: New Part in progress - Baseplate 32 x 32 with Craters