 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3464
Re: Subfiles - Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:24:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Bernd Broich wrote:

Can someone tell me what the criteria is to create a subpart, instead of
copying the whole code and rotate it a few times?

Any comment welcome.

In general it's the symmetry, the file size or many repeating items of the
part that makes sence to use subparts. In your case you can split it into
4 subparts, each one quarter of the file. So you could save filesize.

Why not 8 subparts?  There are 8 symmetric sections in this part.

If you're going to use subfiles to reduce the overall datasize, go all
the way. :)

That's what i've done this evening.
I splitted the main file into one new subfile (32087s02.dat witch re-use the
2865s04.dat file)and the mainfile (32087_mainfile.dat). I couldn't add the
small center track pieces too the 32087s02.dat file due to a little
difference on the bottom side of the center track (one direction versus the
other direction).

Unfortunately, cutting out a 1/8 slice of the part might force some
unnatural cuts.  If this is the case (I think it will be), stick with a
1/4 subfile.

And the rail subfile should be only 1 of the four rails. • This is the 32087s01.dat file, witch re-use the 2865s06.dat subfile

Steve

The file lenghts are now:
    Name             Length        used times
32087_mainfile.dat : 57Kbyte        1x
32087s01.dat       : 12Kbyte        1x
32087s02.dat       : 28Kbyte        4x
2865s04.dat        : 17Kbyte        4x
2865s06.dat        :  1Kbyte        4x

2865s06 is re-used in the 32087s01 subfile,
2865s04 is re-used in the 32087s02 subfile.

The original main file was 166Kbytes long, with the split into a main file
and a new subfile i reduced it to 57K + 28K = 85Kbytes.

I hope that this approach is more acceptable than the 'inline' approach.

Before uploading to LUGNET.CAD.DAT & the Parts tracker ,I would like to know
witch approach is preferrable for upload (subparts or inline).
Personally, i vote for Subparts.

For updated pictures, see:

Regards,
Ludo