 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 293
Re: 4150p?? 4th try
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:33:24 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

It looks good.  I would recommend two things.  This is general advice, not
something that must be changed on this part (although it would improve the
pattern further):

I appreciate that, thanks.

1. When connecting quads/triangles/lines to primitives, use the same number
of decimal places as the primitives.  Or more.  All the disc, circle,
cylinder, cone, and ring primitives currently have 4 decimal places.

_I_ do that diligently.  It's LDraw that changes it.  Unless you mean 0.5 should
be written as 0.50 to conform more with 0.25.  Either that or I completly missed
your point. :)

2. Use common vertices for quads, triangles, and area-filling primitives.
Whenever a renderer works on a scene, it takes the data from the DAT files,
and transforms them to form the correct presentation.  This means the
numbers get modified, and small rounding errors can result when points are
mapped to pixels.  Usually, this is no big deal.  But it can cause points
that *should* be in a straight line to fall out of alignment.  If the
graphics primitives are tied together by common corners (wherever
possible), the misalignment effect will be greatly reduced.

I try to do that whenever I can find the vertices.  Vertices sometimes appear
out of the ring primitives when you zoom in really close and it gets
approximated with quads or something.  I guess that's what you mean by "wherever
possible", right?
Or maybe I should stop reading this stuff after 9 hrs of boring, mind-numbing
work.
--
Patrick Sayre-Little             | "hE's gOnE mAd, mAd I tEll yOU!!"
wsayreli@calpoly.edu             |     -me ...I think