 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2125
Re: Duplo parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:04:08 GMT

Actually, AFAIK, the regular stud*.dat files should work fine -- they just
need to be scaled up by a factor of two.  Instead of writing:
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
you'd do:
1 16 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 2 stud.dat

Comparing relative sizes with some of my son's Duplo bricks last night,
it looks like the Duplo studs are a little shorter in height than two
Lego studs.

And the walls of the bottom tubes are certainly not twice as thick as on
System parts.  Note that the studs fit great between the bottom tubes, but
they don't bind *at all* when placed inside the tubes.  There is another
type of stud that fits into a bottom tube (typically found where a figure
would sit, like on a chair or horse).

A couple questions about detail - Duplo bricks all have a circular
depression on the top center with a little point in the middle. I guess
this is something left over from the manufacturing process. Is it an
important enough visual feature that it should be included in the models?
What do people think?

I personally don't think it's important, and it seems like it would
unnecessarily complicate parts that should be very simple.

Also, what about the "DUPLO" printed inside the hollow studs? (actually, older
Duplo bricks have "LEGO" printed in the studs, with the word Duplo printed
inside the brick).

For legal reasons, isn't it bad to use either?  I'd be happy with the
LDraw-ized logo.

I actually worked up a couple of sample Duplo parts last week, and found out
how to work with primitives.  The primitives I see as necessary are:
  Top stud (hollow with logo inside)
  Bottom tube
    (and it would be nice if it had the "flattened corners" on the inside)
  Big stud (for seats)
  "rib" between tube and side and between tubes
  "rib" along wall to bind to studs

And another question: What about the edges?  System parts have pretty crisp
corners, but Duplo parts are very noticeably curved on the edges.  Is this a
reasonable thing to model?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com