 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2121
Re: algebra help (was "Re: Darth Maul...")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 03:56:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Franklin W. Cain writes:
I can't remember how to calculate the Z co-ord for a point
given that it lies in a known plane (I need this maths
so I can place the triangles and quads making up the parts
of the pattern on the upper and lower curved surfaces
of the face in the right Z position).

I don't know if this will help you,
but this is how I calculate the formula for the X-vs-Z
co-ordinates of the top and bottom edges of the quad
in question (for ex., the quad bordered by the co-ords
(0,4,-13), (0,1.172,-11.536), (4.415,1.172,-10.658),
and (4.975,4,-12.010) has a bottom edge defined by
the line whose endpoints are (0,4,-13) and (4.975,4,-12.010),
and a top edge whose endpoints are (0,1.172,-11.536)
and (4.415,1.172,-10.658)).  Since both of these lines
are _horizontal_, they each have no variation in their
respective Y-value, so they are each a simple line
to calculate (Z=MX+B).  Then, for any specific X-value,
I find the corresponding Z-values for the top and bottom
edges, and then calculate the line segment connecting
these two new points, and *then* I use this new forula
to calculate the correct Z-value for the corresponding Y-value.

In summation:
For a given (x,y) point;
Find the appropriate Quad;
Determine the Endpoints of the Quad;
Calculate the X-Z Formulae for the Top Edge
and the Bottom Edge;
Find the specific Z-values (for the specific X-value)
for the Top Edge and the Bottom Edge;
Using these two points, caluclate the formula
for the line segment connecting them;
Use this new formula to calculate the Z-value
for the (x,y) point.

I hope this helps.
Franklin

Hi Guys,
I have a spreadsheet that might be of some use. It was created to help find
a point on a 3 point plane. After a few trial runs with it, you will find
yourself using it a lot.

Here is a link to my web page that has a bit of info on it.
http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/lego_todo.htm
It uses Microsoft Excel95+  (As far as I know it does not use any macros.)
There are also a few pages that were modified from Steve Bliss' Rotate
spreadsheet which help with calculating line intersections, basic trig
functions, Circle points for 16 and 64 point circles.

Email me and I will send it to you. (If I get several people asking for it,
I will upload it to my site and provide a link to it.)

Paul

http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/lego_parts.htm (finished parts)
http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/lego_todo.htm (in process)
http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/lego_todo2.htm (planned)