 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1906
Re: Darth Maul minifig head - hints and tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:16:33 GMT

"Franklin W. Cain" <fwcain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
ACK!  That's gonna be a toughie!  Good luck.

One of my little "secrets" is that I often "draw"
the face in a two-dimensional image (i.e., Z = -13
for all points on this preliminary image),
and then check the "Front View" box in MLCAD
to make sure the image looks OK.
Then, using my mathematics knowledge,
I calculate the actual Z-axis components
for all the points (there is a directly proportional
relationships between the X-component and the Z-component,
that is independent of the Y-component within the range
of Y = 4 and Y = 17 for the minifig head).

This is sort of what I'm doing, although I have a little VB app to calc the
Z co-ord for me as I enter each triangle/quad. It only works for the
vertical faces of the head at the moment but I'm going to add a few extra
lines to get the planes making up the upper and lower curves added so i can
everything spot on. I'll post how far I've got in a few minutes once I've
mirrored the half I've almost completed so I can get some criticism on it.
If all goes well and I get this finished I might even have a crack at Vader
and the Emperor :)

Dan