 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2075
Re: possible error in the usage of part 80.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:11:18 GMT

"koen" <koen.jordens@student.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

I was looking at part 80 to see if it could be used in my bend
thingie program and compared to my own measurements , I thought
that you had to overlap the small segment of this part in order to
have the correct length.

The segments should overlap slightly, yes.  Take a look at the 78.DAT,
and you will see that the cylinders overlap a bit.  This is to avoid
"holes" when the hose is "bent".

Here's an example of a bent hose:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/ribd2.dat

now, when looking at the awesome bender-model I noticed that it
contained a part 78 in which part 80 is used with
non-overlaps. This makes the thinner part look too long . Is this
correct?

When I look at the 78.DAT, it looks to me like there _is_ overlap
between the segments.  Can you be more precise?  In what way is there
no overlaps between the 80.DAT segments?

btw, since this part is official, I would like to use its design ,
yet the overlapping small segments I would like to replace with a
cilinder which overlaps with 2 rings (in order to get a smooth
curve). So I would simply make a new part from part 80 whitout the
cilinders.  Can/May I do this?

I don't understand what you mean by the first part of the paragraph.
But if you are asking if you can modify and redistribute a part of the
parts library, this is yet to be decided.  There is still no terms of
use licence for the parts library.

For your own personal use, you are of course free to use the parts
library in whatever way you want.  (I suppose.)

Fredrik