 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1716
Re: carriage house / former hospital - Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 04:26:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Don Heyse writes:

Is this where the viewer applet comes from?

http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/

Yes! This is the applet.  It is called PTViewer. The site has
the applet to download and excellent documentation.  The cool
thing about using PTViewer is that it is written in Java,
which means it is platform independent.

Did you use the PTstitcher program?  If so, how many source
images did it take?

I did not use PTSticher.  I was a POVRAY junkie before I became
an LDRAW junkie and I figured that there had to be a way that
the image could be generated directly.  I tried to use the
cylindrcal camera but never got the full 360 degree view right.
I then decided to look in the documentation and found the panoramic
camera.  The panoramic camera used the exact projection that PTViewer
needed except it only generates a 180 degree field of view.  Here is
the trick.  Generate one image of the scene with the camera facing
in the positive Z direction.  Generate a second image with the
camera facing in the negative Z direction. Both images need to be
square. In my case I used 640 x 640. Take both images into a
paint program ( I use Microsoft Image Composer ) put them right next
to each other and save the combined image as one. This created an
image that was 1280 wide and 640 high. Whala!  A full 360
degree view of your ldraw model ready to view in PTViewer!

Now that I've figured out how to generate the VR views I can start
building my VR project.  Hopefully I'll have something to post
in the next couple of weeks.

Jim 8(:O))