 CAD / 9923
Re: Non-BFC primitives (was: Primitives with different BFC winding)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 19:16:27 GMT

Oops forgot to get the primitives from Ldraw027.exe.
Please forget my previous post and read this one ;-)

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
Making my parts BFC compliant I noticed that several
primitives of the same class have different BFC winding.
Compare 2-4ring1.dat and 2-4ring2.dat
But more primitives are involved, mostly rings
and ring segments.

Different winding should not be a big deal.
The BFC standard requires renders to
keep track of the winding direction and cull correctly.

I just found out what caused my notice. I had several non-bfc'd
primitives overwritten with unofficial bfc'd versions.
Now I have deleted all files from my P-folder and extracted
all primitives from ldraw027.exe and the current complete.zip
(inlcuding update 0301).
Now I end op with 30 non-bfc'd primitives:
(leaving edge primitives out of the count)
1-4ccyli
1-4con1
1-4con2
1-4con3
1-4rin10
1-4ring3
1-4ring4
2-4ring1
2-4ring4
2-8sphe
3-8cyls
4-4con1
4-8sphe
arm1
arm2
bushloc2
bushloc3
bushloc4
bushlock
box3#8p
box4t
clip3
clip4
connect5
h1
h2
steerend
stud3a
stu26a
tri3

How can I make my parts bfc certified if it uses any of these primitives ?
I don't know if anyone has made these parts correct bfc certified, since
the PT is offline for a while.

Are the next 'rules' for making primitives bfc certified correct ?
* rect/disc/ndis/ring: top = frontface
* cyli/cyls/cyls2: outside = frontface
* cone: outside/bottom = frontface
* other: outside = frontface

with frontface i mean the faces that are drawn when back face culling
is activated (or shown in green with L3Lab's MyTest6 applied) when
the primitive is used as follows: 1 color  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1 primitive.dat

Niels