 CAD / 9732
Re: Switching from BITMAP/JPEG to PNG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:38:39 GMT

Recalling a bit of history...  .PNG was to be the .GIF replacement (due too
all the legal stuff around .gif) which is mostly for palletized graphics, in
which case PNG is great. The PNG features that are beyond the .gif features
do make a very handy loss-less format for 24 bit graphics (aka images), but
I don't believe that .PNG was supposed to supplant .JPG for 24 bit
graphic/image web publishing. I have found that POV rendered 24 bit images
compress *way* down when converted from .PNG to .JPG which is desired for
use web use.

With all that said I agree that .PNG only support is fine, there are many
image programs (some free) out there that can batch convert just fine.
Especially if it reduces download time and increases functionality.

BTW I like to use IRFAN View. It has batch and slide show functionality.
http://www.irfanview.com/

SteveB

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague writes:
JPEG image format and the new callout capabilites in LPub (plus PLI background
color non-white which I just fixed) are incompatible with JPEG because when you
pack images together that are rendered with the same background color, not all
the backgrounds look *exactly* the same.

I'm going to add PNG support to LPub for building instructions and want to
eliminate JPEG and BITMAP capabilities.  This will simplify things in a *lot*
of places in LPup.  Those of us who authored books for Syngress using LPub used
bitmap format because it was loss-less.  For web publishing, JPEG is typically
used because of reduced file size.

PNG provides lossless compressed images.  Rather than having to support all
three formats bitmap, JPEG and PNG, I only want to support PNG.

Any objections?

Kevin