 CAD / 9731
Re: Switching from BITMAP/JPEG to PNG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:55:57 GMT

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:HDpB2o.oBr@lugnet.com...

I'm going to add PNG support to LPub for building instructions and want to
eliminate JPEG and BITMAP capabilities.
[...]
Any objections?

Not from me :-)

I'm in the process of throwing JPEG out of BlockCAD (AnkerCAD, ???CAD), as
this makes the program almost 250 kB smaller! The PNG format gives (in my
experience) at least as good compression, and is lossless - no fair fight at
all.

(Windows comments only below)

What about browsers? I think the latest versions of the major browsers can
show PNG - I don't know about the 'lesser' ones.

All important image processing programs can load/save PNG (otherwise they
are not important).

One can always use ImageMagick to convert to any other format.

I'd say: go for it!

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm